What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognize and remember you on your next visit to our website. It is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive or tablet or mobile device. When you visit our sites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our site
- Showing you content that is relevant to you
- Showing you Livingmedia International products and services that are relevant to you
- Working with partners to serve you with relevant advertising
Ultimately, this allows us to publish the contents that you read on our sites and apps.
Other organizations also collect user information on our sites through cookies, tags, and pixels. Tags and pixels, also known as web beacons, are similar to cookies but are collected through embedded images.
Using cookies and other technology allows other organizations to help us to analyze how our site is being used, measure the number of visitors to the site, and display advertising.
Cookies that are used by Livingmedia International are referred to as “first-party cookies” and those that are used by our partners are “third-party cookies”. Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access third-party cookies; nor can other organizations access the data in the cookies we use on our website. There are more details about both in the following sections.
The types of cookies we use
We use four types of cookies, which we describe in this part.
- Essential – cookies that are essential to provide you with the services you have requested. For instance, the cookies that enable you to remain logged in to your Livingmedia International account and make comments. If you set your browser to block these cookies, then these functions and services will not work for you. In particular, we won’t be able to save your preferences about cookies.
- Performance – cookies measure how often you visit our sites and how you use them. We use this information to get a better sense of how our users engage with our journalism and to improve our sites and apps so that users have a better experience. For example, we collect information about which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users. We also use third-party cookies to help with performance. For example, the Google Analytics cookie gives us information such as your journey between pages and whether you have downloaded anything (details of how to opt out of it are below).
- Functionality – cookies that are used to recognize you and remember your preferences or settings when you return to our site, so we can provide you with a personalized experience. For instance, if you are based in the United Kingdom, we will remember this and ensure you receive the UK homepage when you visit our site, rather than the US or Australia homepage. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies is used.
- Advertising – cookies that are used to collect information about your visit to our site, the content you have viewed, the links you have followed, and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. We have set out more details on this below.
Cookies are a key part of how we deliver advertising on our sites. Among other uses, they allow us to show more relevant advertising to people who visit livingmediainternational.com by showing you adverts that are based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our sites and apps. We can then show you adverts which we believe may interest you.
As you browse our site, some of the cookies and similar technology we place on your device are for advertising, so we can understand what sorts of pages you read and are interested in. We can then display advertising on your browser based on these interests. For instance, if you have been reading a lot of food and drink articles, you may be shown more adverts for food and drink.
The advertising techniques we use do not collect information such as your name, email address, postal address, or phone number. We sometimes use information such as your IP address and browser type and also sometimes share some limited aspects of this with third parties for advertising purposes.
For instance, we place a pixel on our web pages that allows Facebook to place cookies on web browsers. When a Livingmedia International reader who uses Facebook returns to Facebook, Facebook can identify them as part of a group of Livingmedia International readers and on behalf of Living Media International, they can serve them with marketing messages from us. The data that can be obtained from a visit to Living Media International is limited to the URL of the pages that have been visited and, in some cases, the status of any unfinished or completed commercial transactions undertaken with us, together with the limited information a browser might pass on, such as its IP address. If you are a Facebook user you can opt out by following the link below.
We may also share online data collected through cookies and similar technology with our advertising partners. This means that when you are on another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on livingmediainternational.com. We may also show you advertising on the livingmediainternational.com website based on your browsing patterns on other sites that we have obtained from our advertising partners.
For example, if you have visited the website of an online clothes shop, you may start seeing adverts from that same shopping site displaying special offers or showing you the products you were browsing. This allows companies to advertise to you if you leave their website without making a purchase.
How to manage advertising cookies
You can find information about how to opt out of the cookies provided by our key partners here:
You can further manage the use of advertising cookies and disable the sharing of data with partners for advertising purposes.
This option will reduce the number of advertising partners with whom we share your data, although you will still see some advertising that has been tailored to you as well as advertising intended for Livingmedia International readers in general.
It is also possible to stop your browser from accepting cookies altogether by changing your browser’s cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser. The following links may be helpful, or you can use the “Help” option in your browser.
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari web and iOS
If you would like to find out more about privacy, cookies, and their use on the internet, you may find the following links useful:
If you would like to contact us about cookies please email email@example.com
- July 2019: updated information about how to opt out of the cookies provided by our key partners